Top 3 Christmas desserts at Kearns High School

Holly Nickle

The Christmas season is right around the corner The Christmas season is full of wonderful activities, amazing smells, and delicious food. The food is arguably one of the best things about Christmas, second to being with your friends and loved ones. During the holiday season, many families have Christmas parties; and to make any Christmas party great, you need at least one Christmas dessert. According to the Huffington Post the top 3 dazzling Christmas desserts are as follows:

1.Double Chocolate Pavlova with Mascarpone Cream and Raspberries. (As seen below)

2.Baked Pears in Spiced Pomegranate Syrup. (As seen below)

3.Flourless Chocolate Cake with Meringue Topping. (As seen below)

However, I wanted to bring it closer to home and find out what desserts Kearns High School students liked the most. After surveying about 80 students here at Kearns High School, these were the results for the top 3 favorite Christmas desserts:

1. Pie
2. Cookies
3. Cake
According to The Top 10’s website, people’s favorite pie of all time is the classic Apple Pie. Since pie was also one of the most popular here at Kearns High School, below is a Betty Crocker recipe for the classic Apple pie:
Ingredients:
⅓ to ½ cups sugar
¼ cup of all purpose flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon salt
8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (8 medium)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Steps:
Heat oven to 425°F. Prepare double crust pastry.

Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in apples. Turn into pastry- lined plate. Dot with butter. Trim overhanging edge of pastry ½ inch from rim of plate.
Roll other round of pastry. Fold into fourths and cut slits so steam can escape. Unfold top pastry over filling; trim overhanging edge 1 inch from rim of plate. Fold and roll top edge under lower edge, pressing on rim to seal; flute as desired. Cover edge with 3 inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excess browning. Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
Bake 40 – 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Serve warm is desired.