“EXIST. RESIST. PERSIST. “

Kadie Gorman, Student Lifestyle Editor

Kearns-Every year people gather to celebrate the diversity, and inclusion of the LGBTQ+ community. This summer 2019 was the 44th Utah Pride Festival it was held June 1st & 2nd, at Washington Square in downtown Salt Lake City.

This festival is known for being a community event featuring a large range of entertainment such as. Marches, rallies, interfaith services, a 5K charity run, and of course, the beloved Pride Parade.

This community event is celebrated all over the nation to provide and fight for the equality of all people. It’s positive stance against discrimination and violence towards the LGBTQ.

During an interview with a member from Rain Club (Rising Above Intolerance Now) here at Kearns High School the Cougar Claw asked if they would recommend this festival to others. Jocelyn Campos replied, “Most definitely it’s a day to represent who you are.”

Not only is this a fun and welcoming event it’s a way of celebration to show just how far this community has actually came. It is now a major Salt Lake City event that continues to grow and brighten every year. The Cougar Claw continues to ask Rain Club what some of the essential reasons are for celebrating pride, Campos explains, “it’s peace of mind really, and super important.”

This year’s festival has been declared the best on record in Utah.  Attendance at the parade itself topped 60,000 , and tickets to the event sold out early on Saturday, the first day of the two-day festival. According to (utahpridecenter.org)

Celebrated all around the world it has become a tradition for a large amount, and even if you’re just going as an ally supporting.  Generally It’s a time for people from all walks of life to stop and reflect on what it means to be truly accepting and accepted as a community.