Gabriel Royal “More Cello Please”

Kearns- Kearns High School was honored to have a special guest, who was willing to share his story and talent. On October third, through the Utah Presents Program and the graciousness of Charles DYE, Kearns High Students were given the opportunity to watch a very talented performer; Gabriel Royal. Gabriel started performing in subways, he started playing there because he needed money and wanted to share some of his talent. Someone asked him if one of his songs was an original, “Subway Sweet” was written by Mr. Royal. That is how he became known to be.

Gabriel Royal started practicing the cello, and as he started to understand the strings, he started creating his own music. “You have to practice creativity to get better at something. If you can play an instrument, play something yourself that’s an original and your technique will be so much better.” He’s been through a lot of bumps on his journey, he warned the student body that there will be people who will judge and lots of haters; but he recommended to be persistent, that if you are good at something, don’t give up on it. “If you want to see something in the world, then make it.” Said Mr. Royal

“What inspired you to be a musician?” asked C.C. “My family, my dad played the piano and my mom was a ballerina dancer. So, I guess it’s been in my blood forever.” Said Mr. Royal. A tip that he gave the student body who want to pursue music as a career, was to never give up. “Practice, practice, practice, do lots of practice and take any opportunity that it’s handed to you. Even if you must start somewhere small, like a local restaurant, or party where you can play and show your talent.” Mr. Royal. “Why did you decide to come to Kearns High School?” asked C.C. “Because you have such an amazing principal, when we called her and let her know that we had someone that wanted to share his experiences with her students and said yes right away, if it meant that her students will get something great and educational then they are welcome in here.” Gabriel Royal is and was an inspiring person to Kearns High and we could never thank him enough for taking his time and coming to talk and perform to us.