Cougars Let Sparks Fly On Senior Night Against Eagles

Alex Napoles, Editor

Kearns High football would have its final home game on Friday, October 8th. As the season gets closer to an exciting end, the Kearns High Cougars look more and more as potential champions. Kearns has had an amazing season so far, with six wins and one loss, and now look to make it seven wins against the Skyline Eagles. The several senior class players would have their Senior Night celebration before kickoff. Players like Sione Finau, Graden Luckart, Shay Reid, Bailey Floyd, and many more seniors would walk onto the Kearns High football field’s new turf for the last time.

The game began with a unexpected squib kickoff from the Cougars, allowing them to keep possession of the ball. A 6 yard rush on the 7th play of the drive would be the only action in the first quarter. Cougars ahead 7-0 at the end of the first quarter. Sese Felilia would rush for another touchdown, making it 14-0. With eight minutes left in the second quarter, Sione Finau would come up with a big defensive play to block the Skyline field goal on 4th down. Skyline would find the end zone late on in the second half to make it 14-7. An exciting first half came to a conclusion with Graden Luckart getting a touchdown for the Cougars, with 35 seconds left on the clock. Kearns would have a partial 21-7 victory over the Skyline Eagles at the half.

The Cougars continued to control the game, getting a field goal late into the third quarter. Graden Luckart would get a 40 yard run for another Cougar touchdown, making the score 31-7 at the end of the third. Bailey Floyd was able to connect with Shay Reid for an amazing 75 yard touchdown with 10 minutes left in the final quarter. Kearns would prevail over Skyline, with a final score of 38-21. “It feels really good, we just want to make history,” stated senior Sione Finau. The running back was asked his feelings towards his senior night, and Finau was smiling from ear to ear. “I feel old! I remember when I was just a freshman, now I feel like we must continue our journey to the top. We’ll go as far as we can in the playoffs. Our brotherhood is tight and we trust each other. Having trust definitely shows on the field.”