The Basics of Hosa

Sara Bremer

Hosa is a medical program for students in the year of 2015 at High Schools such as Kearns High. HOSA used to stand for Health Occupations Students of America, but now is known as the name for the organization as Hosa Representing Future Healthcare Professionals. The program is for students who are planning to pursue health care or a health related field. Misty Morrow says that the group assembles every few weeks after school to discuss upcoming events, fundraisers, information on the program, participation activities, casual holidays, and to study health related topics. The group allows any students who wish to study healthcare related topics during the study time of their club. According to Jaimie Bremer, former Hosa participant, “The program makes sure to include participation activities to engage students.”

Hosa aids students understand potential and possibilities relating to health care. The advisor Misty Morrow has a lot of knowledge base to aid students in understanding the next steps in achieving their goals. The field of healthcare has many possibilities and potential advances. It has components such as clinical tasks working directly with patients, reception work, pure knowledge based research, to equipment management. It’s a large field that is only expanding, advancing even out of high school. Participation in such a program has a large impact when an applicant applies to a health related job. It shows dedication and engagement in the passion of such a field, as well as help understand some life skills.

The knowledge that someone can learn from the program offers many opportunities. One common opportunity is the position of CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant). When someone has the knowledge that one can gain from Hosa, they can apply to institutions such as a care center. A CNA can have a job at the early age of sixteen.