Just Keep Singing

Morgan Nielsen, Activities Managers

CONCER CHOIR’S TOUR TO DISNEYLAND

At the end of every school year, Concert Choir goes on tour to Anaheim, California and Disneyland. This year, they will be going the 28th of May to the fourth of June. “Not only is Tour a fun experience,” says Mr. Martin, the Choir teacher at Kearns High School, “it’s a chance to learn and compete with other schools.” This Disney Performance Tour connects choir with established professionals, and gives them the opportunity to perform for park-goers from around the world. Showing Choir’s K-Town spirit is definitely one of the things that choir members take serious pride in. Joshua Nielsen, a choir alumni stated, “The thing I learned most was if you take the competition seriously, and not get distracted by the trip, you can win the competition and be proud of it!”

As many can imagine, the cost for going on this trip is worth a pretty penny. The expenditure is $700 per student who wants to participate in the Disneyland tour. Mrs. Faulk, the Drama teacher here at Kearns High, explained how this money goes toward the buses, hotel rooms, and some meals for everyone going. For some, $700 is much too expensive to pay straight out-of-pocket. Because of this, Concert Choir staggers its payment deadlines; at the end of every month $100 is due. Even with this payment plan, some students have difficulty paying for their trip to California. This is why the Choir and Drama departments hold many fundraisers. They have already had two very successful ones and are currently selling World’s Finest Chocolate Bars for their third fundraiser. Along with these fundraisers, they held a Benefit Concert where they performed different songs and used all of the proceeds to help pay for Tour.

The songs that will be performed are TBA (To Be Announced), but that does not stop the choir from practicing their vocal skills. Brianna Cox, a Junior in Concert Choir said, “A lot of time and effort goes without being noticed, but it will all pay off. Competition this year while we are on tour will be very successful no matter what the outcome is.”