Supernatural Fandom

Amberlee Christal Mercado, Editor in Chief

A student is walking to class. As she struggles through the sea of bodies, she catches sight of something strange. Another student in front of her has a backpack with a pentagram design across it. She begins to panic. What does it mean? Is it evil, sadist, perhaps witchcraft? Nah, it’s just a Supernatural fan.

Supernatural is a very popular show that aired in 2005. It started as a pair of monster hunting brothers who were looking for their father and expanded since then. Throughout the show the boys have faced urban legends, ghosts, demons, angels, and even different types of Gods from around the world. The mixture of horror, humor, and tragedy have attracted a massive fan base during the past few years. In fact several Students at Kearns are parts of the gigantic fandom.

Cheanne Locke, a student at Kearns, was introduced to the show just six months ago and she has already fallen in love with it. “It just happened!” she states. She loves the brotherly relationship of the Winchesters and often finds herself relating to the show.

“ I like the characters and the plot lines are really interesting.” Alyssa Summers, another Kearns student, has been part of the show for a few years. She likes to think of herself as a ‘die hard’ fan. She even writes and reads Supernatural fanfiction.

Fanfiction is one of the many ways fans show love for there fandom. Other ways such as fan art, blogging, cosplay, and buying merchandise are several ways for one to express their love for Supernatural or any other fandom.

The show is a huge part of the media currently with the next season on October 13th. Fans are anxiously waiting as they count every single second until the new season. The show is a way to bring everyone together as a sort of family.

“Saving People, hunting things, family business.” Dean Winchester, Supernatural.