Building a Foundation

Morgan Nielsen, Managing Editor

In the library, there are miniature creatures on top of the bookshelves. Where do these things come from? Who makes them? Well, the Cougar Claw has the answer! Mrs. Hernandez, one of last year’s art teachers, taught a sculpture class that made these animal hybrid creations called “Alebrije.” Alebrije are brightly colored Mexican folk art sculptures of fantastical creatures. This year, Mr. Winn is having his sculpture class make some hybrids of their own. He says that the inspiration behind these creations comes from the Alebrije in the library as a way that he can show his students how to make more sculptural types of projects. His students are preparing to learn new techniques while building with new materials as they explore Hispanic art cultures.
Mr. Winn shared that despite what sculptures his students may produce that his ultimate goal for his classes is for them to enjoy themselves. “I want them to learn that there is more to art than just drawing or painting. There are so many kinds of art that you’ve never even thought of; so many ways to express yourself. Most of all,” He continues, “I want my students to discover that they can do whatever they want and still be successful.”
Bryndi Mitchell, a Freshman here at Kearns High, gave some of her insight about her sculpture class. “At first I just took sculpture to try something new. Now, I feel like this class is really preparing me for my future. I am finding new ways to express myself through my creativity and I really enjoy being able to create something in my head and have it come out into my sculpture.”
Mr. Winn would like to invite the student body to join his sculpture classes next year and express their creativity. “If you follow your heart, doors will open where there were no doors before,” Mr. Winn said, paraphrasing Joseph Campbell. “Art and life are parallel. In life, you learn from your mistakes. You know what works, what doesn’t work, and how to fix what isn’t working. In art, it is the same way. I think that is one way that sculpture, or any art, helps prepare people for their future because they know how to problem solve.”