Cougar Becomes Thunderbird

Lelu Finau, Staff Writer

Only one out of sixteen football players will play football in college. The chances of playing football and receiving a full-ride scholarship are miniscule. Those who do receive one should consider themselves very lucky because it takes a lot to even qualify for a scholarship.
Our very own varsity starting running back, Sese Felila, is one of those lucky students. He has been offered a full ride scholarship to Southern Utah University to play football. Sese has given Kearns High such an amazing football season, with 1,532 rushing yards and all the many touch downs he has scored.
The Cougar Claw asked Sese about his offer and the feelings he has towards it. “It’s crazy,” he said, “I’m just so grateful for the offer.” Only 6% of high school seniors continue to play at college level. Sese, on the other hand, is a junior and he has gained more opportunities than most seniors around the country. “I consider myself very lucky because of the amount of kids that don’t have the chance to play.” Sese said, “I continue to humble myself and remind myself how much of a privilege it is to be offered to play on the next level”.
Young men in the past from Kearns High have also been offered to play for a college team. Sese’s older brother, James Felila, was also offered to play at the same school as Sese. “We’ll be having two Kearns High cougars out there at SUU!” What better way to have Kearns High represented, than by having our very own cougar athletes play at the next level.
Editor’s note: After this interview, Felila was offered a second scholarship to BYU.