The Food Dilemma

Codie Bower

Do the students enjoy the school food? A majority don’t and why may be a very simple reason and solution. In most schools across America, there is a designated time for classes to leave and go get lunch. A majority of the time the students tend not to like or want the school food. The reason behind students not wanting the school lunch may be because the students find the food unappetizing or un-nutritional leaving them hungry.
Although students blame those who cook the food (The kitchen staff) it is not their fault; they simply prepare what’s given to them by their superiors. These superiors tend to choose cheaper alternatives for the schools by substituting a good amount of food with usually healthier alternatives, which leaves the kitchen staff with only limited products to work with and not always the best quality.
Many times the students will skip lunch altogether, causing students to be hungry the rest of the school day making them lose focus. Generally school lunches tend to focus so heavily on the fact they need to be healthy that they in-turn end up serving the students not so healthy substitute foods, such as white bread being replaced by whole wheat. The schools replace sugars and proteins with “Healthier” options.
Granted students do also eat the school lunches but most reluctantly as, for the students not all are fortunate enough to be able to bring their own food or to go out and get it.