Swim through traffic at the Swim Meets

Madison Mercado

It’s a normal day for you, you’re going swimming but this time you hear a lot of shouting and splashing, so you look through the window closest to you and see people standing on the starting block, they jump in when the buzzer sounds and start to swim. This is what was happening at the swim meet on November 21, 2017 at the Murray Rec Center. Three schools were competing at the meet: Murray High school, Olympus High school, and Kearns High school. All of the teams are coed and have grades from 9th to 12th.
At a swim meet, it’s not only just one school against another, it’s usually eight students from a different or the same school competing together. Students compete to see who gets the best time, The shorter the time the more points you get. Although these races are multiple types of races there are; the 100 meter backstroke, 100 meter breaststroke, 100 meter fly, 100 and 200 meter freestyle, and the 200 meter medley relay. The 200 meter medley relay is a race where four members of the same team “tag” or switch places into the water.
When it comes to scoring a swim meet, each team member is scored based on what place they got with their timing. At the end of a swim meet all of the points from each member are added up and the winning school is determined. A certain amount of points is given to each member, and as rankings lower so do the points. To find out more talk to Coach Horne, or go to a Swim meet and cheer our classmates/friends on! You can find out when and where on the Kearns High School calendar.