Kearns Student Hospitalized by Car Accident

Gabriel De La Espriella

Where Ian was struck

Kearns-Ian Brinkerhoff, a student of Kearns high and a member of the track team, was struck by a car Saturday August 17th. Ian and his mother were riding their bicycles on the sidewalk Near Cougar Lane. As Ian turned into the parking lot of the Kearns Oquirrh Park Fitness Center, a car went through the intersection and struck him. He sustained multiple injuries and has been to three different hospitals.

Ms. Loo, the principal of Kearns High, was asked a few questions about the incident. When asked what can be done to prevent accidents like this from occurring, she said to always wear a helmet, and to be aware of traffic laws in the area. When referring to bike lanes she mentioned the importance of “Understanding how they’re supposed to be used on any given street or neighborhood”. Loo suggested that people should not leave late at night, and to always be aware of your surroundings, especially in school zones. Exactly what caused the driver to hit Ian is unclear but, it’s very common for drivers to not see pedestrians and hit them by mistake.

Loo couldn’t disclose Ian’s condition, she did comment that Ian is a good

student who is enrolled in four honors classes, describing him as “an example” and “a silent leader”.

Kael Brinkerhoff, Ian’s brother, was also interviewed by the Cougar Claw. Kael disclosed that Ian is recovering well. He has sustained many serious injuries and is still in the hospital and may be for a while.  Kael expressed gratitude for the support they have been receiving from friends and the Kearns community.

Safety is a priority here, with many teachers making efforts to remind students to be cautious crossing the street. With reminders to cross at the appropriate times, and to watch for cars even when they have the right of way. Whenever you’re out remember to make sure you are aware of your surroundings and that drivers nearby are aware of others before crossing.