Making a Difference, What United Way Dose for the Kearns Community

Alyssa Sainsbury, News Reporter

According to the United Way of Salt Lake, the class of 2017-18 had 90 percent of the high school students graduate, which is 10 percent more than the class of 2013-14.

Kearns High School’s United Way coordinator, Jake Housel helps to fund-raise for the school, coordinate social services, and help Kearns High administration on academic initiatives that are planned. In an interview with Housel, he states “It’s hard for a kid, who is possibly hungry or needs glasses, to come to school and be expected to perform well and to get good grades… it’s important that everyone gets equal opportunity.” The United Way program is important and useful in Kearns because it provides equality for all students and gives everyone the opportunity to succeed.

In 1904 the Salt Lake Charity Association was established. Its initial goal was to help the less fortunate, and set up programs. Currently, they have focused on poverty, health care, and education. With over 1,800 local United Ways, and in 40 countries and territories, Salt Lake City is one of many.

United Way is a global, non- profit organization. On their official website they state, “We rise or fall together. With your support, we are reaching for great new heights.” Their ultimate goal essentially is to improve lives by coming together as a community. Some of their accomplishments have been building 600 classrooms in the Philippines, distributing 50,000 mosquito nets in Uganda, and training 188,122 people in Denver to be financially self-sufficient.

On their website they provide statistics and facts regarding education. Each year approximately 160,000 students across Washington D.C. drop out, and 15,000 adults in Orange County without jobs and homes.

With the work United Way does around the world and within community, it’s safe to say that they are helping our world in many ways.