Three Schools, One Mission

Caytlin Pendleton, Editor in Chief

Three high schools competing for the same goal-Kearns, Taylorsville, and Hunter are working together to end hunger in their communities. With a little help from the food banks, they are spreading food around to help families that were hurt during the pandemic.
The Feeding America Project has the mission to fight hunger statewide. The Utah Food Bank has operated many little missions to complete their main mission which is Fighting Hunger Statewide. “With your support last year, we distributed 52.9 million pounds of food, the equivalent of 44.1 million meals, to people facing hunger around the state,” states the COVID-19 response update page on the Food Bank website.
A competition between Kearns, Taylorsville, and Hunter high schools was held on February 4 to March 4. All three schools asked students to donate food for them to win the Ford Souper Challenge.
These schools do much more than just win competitions. The Latinos in Action groups in these schools asked for donations to spread to families. Hunter High, in first place, donated 31,090 meals, Kearns came second with 23,664 meals, and Taylorsville in third with 9,972.
Hunter High School won the competition with 31,090 meals donated which is a step forward to what the food bank’s goal is.
“We got a lot of support from our school, especially the faculty and staff. About 2/3 of the $3,000 we raised was from employees of Hunter High, including two staff members who donated $500 each. The rest of the money was contributed by students, parents, and community members. We had posters hung all over the school, announcements made every few days, and had information shared on our school social media pages and shared on the pages of our FBLA members. Our athletics director also sent an email out to all athletes and their parents requesting their assistance. A few people asked local businesses to hang up our posters,” Tonya Bryner stated. Bryner is the Hunter High School’s FLBA advisor.