Lingua Mortua?

Dead Language?

Amberlee Chrystal Mercado, Student Life Editor

Spanish, French, and German are all well-known language classes’ students take in high school; but what about Latin? Latin is very old and is often referred to as a dead language. Yet, Kearns High has its own Latin Class where students can learn the ancient language. It is taught by Miss Moon.

The students not only learn the language, but they also learn a lot of Greek and Roman culture as well. They study the history and the everyday life of these ancient civilizations. They study things from Pompeii to the Roman military. The class also spends a lot of time learning the Greek and Roman mythology. Taking the class also has quite a bit of academic advantages. It raises students understanding of Grammar and vocabulary. It also improves students’ scores on the ACT. Plus a short introduction into medical terms.

There are also several different types of projects that one would not usually see in a Language classroom. Such projects like making military shields, catapults, and medusa masks are done. They even march down the halls in battle formation and make Harry Potter spells in Latin.

“Latin is not dead, it has simply aged.” Miss Moon says. Several languages today come from Latin; English, and Spanish included. “Many of the ‘romantic’ languages as well, such as French.” Miss Moon described Latin as cheese; it gets better as it ages.