The Real Meaning (Veteran’s Day)

Morgan Nielsen, Writer/Activities Manager

November 11th is Veteran’s Day, a day where people from all over come together in respect to honor our troops; those that have returned and those who sacrificed their lives. Mr. Dave Martin from Kearns High states, “The problem with celebrating Veteran’s Day is people not understanding what it is really about.”

A Veteran by the name of Neil Summers was interviewed to get his take on Veteran’s Day, “To me, it means a lot that people are thankful because Vietnam veterans never got much recognition.” Summers was in the Army for a total of seven years. He served in Active Duty for three years as well as the National Guard for four years. When asked about why he served, he mentioned that at first he just didn’t know what to do after graduating high school. He explained how a point of view can change after being involved in all of the wars and humanitarian projects that the army is a part of. Mr. Steve Miller, a retired History teacher from Kearns, gives depth on exactly what soldiers do for their country and why. He states, “They put on that uniform for all of us.”

He explains that the patriotism of the soldiers is what fuels their will to fight. “America is a land of opportunity,” Miller says, “You have that opportunity to choose your paths in life. Take advantage of what so many people have died for… Make the efforts of those patriots, who gave their lives for us, mean something. Make your life mean something. To me, that is patriotism.”