Letter From The Prez

Michael Lugo, School SBO president

Greetings fellow Cougars,

Michael Lugo here for my first letter from the Prez! First off, I encourage you all take a minute and ponder how far we have already come. We have just conquered the first term of the 2015-2016 school year at Kearns High! For some of you, this is the start of your high school career and for others it will soon be wrapping up. Seniors, we only have three quarters left, WOW!

Homecoming Week was a festive event for those who participated. We had a fantastic turn out of alumni, and students alike, who came to support the game and dance. It was an exciting experience to witness the field being dedicated by multiple dignitaries from the district and community along with District Superintendent Bates. Following that the Cougars left the evening victorious. There was a wonderful turn out at the annual Homecoming Dance and our amazing Royalty Court had the opportunity to share a dance together. The 2015-2016 Homecoming Royalty court was as follows: 2nd Attendants Cierra Suchil and Tyson Newkirk, 1st Attendants Micah Kelsey and Conner Rickards, Homecoming King Graden Luckart and Homecoming Queen Justice Afatasi.

Fall sports are wrapping up their seasons. No matter the wins or losses, our teams should always be proud to be Cougars and represent Kearns High School. I hope the experiences you have all had throughout your seasons were ones to remember; and I hope you learned a little something along the way. A big hoorah to Girls Tennis, Girls soccer, Golf, and Volleyball for all of the diligent time and efforts they put in. Congrats to Cassidy Hilton for receiving Academic All-State for tennis. We wish the rest of the teams success in nominations for Region, All-State, and Academic All-State. In the time that this letter will be published more students will be awarded with these recognitions. We also can’t forget about our Varsity Football team pushing their way up to region, and our Cross Country boys sprinting all the way to State, big shout out to them.

Our performing groups have done a superb job so far this year: Drill, Cheer, Band, Madrigals, Dance Company, and others. Whether it be performing on the field during halftimes or strutting their stuff at benefit concerts. Speaking of, the choir and band concerts that took place, and will continue throughout the year, are a blast. I highly recommend you go and see one at least once this year. The energy and enthusiasm you give off while performing is admirable; it is evident that you are all having fun up on stage. Keep a look out, the school musical “In the Heights” is coming right around the corner and I invite you all to attend and support.

Lastly, we cannot look past all of the energy and passion the student body has put into this quarter; not solely in the classroom but out supporting and attending activities and events around the school. This applies just as much to our extraordinary faculty and staff; our wonderful teachers, counselors, secretaries, staff, administration, and even our newly appointed Officer Lopez. Cougars make every effort to thank them for all they do; we need to make sure they know they are appreciated. They try their best to take care of us so let’s return the favor. Take all that you’ve learned thus far, apply it to your lives, learn from the losses, and savor the victories. High school won’t last forever, take advantage and work hard while having fun along the way. Seniors, live it up! Underclassmen, you’ll be in their position sooner than you know it so don’t blink. Once again way to go Cougars. Keep up all the good work and I look forward to writing to you all again.

With Gratitude,

Michael Lugo 2015-2016 Student Body President