Picasso’s Life

Luis Candejas, Staff Writer

Although October 25th seems like just any other fall, chilly day, 135 years ago, one of today’s most well-known artists was born! Pablo Picasso had a great impact in the art community and even in society. He was born in Malaga, Spain, October 25, 1881. According to www.pablopicasso.org, while in his early years he expressed natural skill, surely surpassing his fine arts teacher and father by the age of 13. By the age of 50, Picasso became the most well-known artist with over 20,000 art pieces, which would forever influence upcoming artists from multiple perspectives.
The impact Picasso had on the art community was very moving and perspective changing; re-thinking the rules of perspective, Picasso noticed that although people may only see one side of an object, the other sides remain present, which resulted in Picasso’s Cubism.
Mr. Winn, a fine arts teacher here at Kearns High School replied after being asked about how Picasso may have influenced him, “I believe Picasso influenced everyone with his abstract art; You see his art which then makes you look for a deeper meaning to it.”
Picasso’s Cubism was a major accomplishment that would later influence the creation of Futurism and Purism, and other techniques of art.
What set Picasso apart from other artists was that he would express his personal feelings but also reflected real world events through his art. Guernica, Picasso most famous painting was finished in June of 1937; created due to being exposed to the suffering that occurred during the Spanish civil war. The Museum of Modern Art in New York displays some of Picasso’s many great art works that continue to influence those of the art community.