Kearns’ 50th Birthday

Marcus Pedersen, Staff writer

This year will be Kearns High School’s 50th anniversary. On November 7th, the event for the anniversary took place and it included a video presentation then a tour of the new renovations. Kearns High School was built in 1966 and has changed quite a bit since then. It’s had a few renovations here and there but the people have changed as well.
The school itself has had renovations a few times since it was built. One being the math hall which was built in 1993 and was nicknamed the “new hall” by students, Mrs. Duran told the Cougar Claw. She also said the area where the art and culture classrooms are used to be used as a sort of activity center. Also, before there were vending machines everywhere, there was a snack bar in the front of the school which served nachos, donuts, and soda primarily.
The cultural diversity of Kearns has always been particularly high, but in the past few years it has raised significantly, from what Mrs. Duran said, but one thing that is different is the introduction of cellphones, which has caused everyone to communicate differently. Instead of students passing notes across the classroom they now simply text each other. “In general, all students still act like teenagers in the sense that they all act like they know everything but just want to better themselves. Overall, Kearns has always been a close community that has almost been like family.”