College Application Week Comes to Kearns

Tyrel Gurney, Staff writer

Attention Seniors, the perfect chance to get to college is here! This year’s senior class recently held College Application Week November 7th through 18th here at Kearns High School. College Application Week has done an excellent job of helping students to get closer to college. But how do the counselors work it out? Why is this all important? The answer is simple.
College Application Week is only for two weeks in November, and the second week is for seniors that missed the first week. But the month of November is National College Month. That means it is technically not over yet! But how do the counselors provide college aid? Go to the counselor in charge, Ms. May. The process is rather simple and is done during the students’ English Class period. As a class, students go down to the career center, where each of them take a computer and receive a folder of information to begin. From there, the counselors will answer questions and provide assistance. There is also a wide expansion of options. Some scholarships are
specifically for some colleges
only, and are the ones to focus on.
Keep in mind though, it may be November, but deadlines are still enforced at colleges, especially college applications. Ms. May explained this concept by breaking it down. Junior colleges, such as Snow or SLCC, are accepting year-round, but four-year colleges, BYU, Univerity of Utah, Weber, and others, are stricter, but are easier than private schools like Westminster.
To lighten the load of information in one’s mind, Kearns High School held a College Knowledge Night on Wednesday November 2nd, from 5:00pm to 6:30pm. Then the FAFSA Night followed on November 9th, 5:00pm to 8:00pm. Both gave information to help out with college and federal financial help. Throughout the week, activities included a photo-booth, face painting, and even a drawing for attending two or more activities. The drawing gave opportunities for credit recovery or drawing out college gear, such as shirts, from BYU, University of Utah, Snow, SLCC, UVU, SUU, and Utah State.
So students of Kearns High School, have those colleges in mind, and be prepared before then, because things are closer than students think.