Breakouts Held at Kearns

Jorge Soto, Staff writer

Breakouts at Kearns High are an important topic to be focused on each time they occur. This event will tell how well students are doing and informs them of programs they could apply for. This event takes place in the library during students’ English class period on November 21-22 for juniors, the 28-29 for sophomores, December 5-6 for freshmen, and February 1-2 for seniors. Each grade will discuss different topics.
Freshmen will be welcomed to the school and taught about programs that they might be interested in. Students will be informed about Kearns High School sports and academic programs that they could apply for and what it takes to be in those programs, plus who they have to talk in order to apply.
Sophomores will be shown pathways that they might be interested in studying, programs that they could enter to help them progress in the field that they want to study, and what Kearns or Granite Technical School has to offer.
Junior’s will talk about the ACT test and what they could do to study for the test and to get the best score possible. They will also get to know the ASVAB test, what the test is for, and why they do it.
Seniors will talk about college applications and scholarships available. Colleges will make sure students are on track to graduate and make sure they have received all of the required credits to do so.
Larissa Lokey says that she thinks breakouts shows that counselors are here for students and know all the answers to student’s questions. She says that some students can qualify for some scholarships. Breakouts are a prefect time to let them know what they can do for students to get the scholarships.