Clash of the Titans

AP vs. Honors vs. Core

Boaz Gallo, Student Life Editor

When students enter their high school year, they are given a choice on what level of difficulty they wish to approach  their core classes, which consists of math, English, science, and social studies.

The first level of difficulty students can choose from is basic core, “it goes a little slower, students can get more help, to where as in honors and AP they go a little faster and students may fall behind if unprepared,”  Said Mr. Hall who teaches a core and honors math class along with a core history one.  Even though this class sounds like it would be for those who are slow; it isn’t.  It is for student’s who  are struggling in a particular subject, and this allows them to get the extra help that they may be needed , so that they can understand it better and help increase their work ethnic,  so that one day they could take that knowledge and hopefully move up to the more challenging courses once the basic core starts to become more easy to them

The next level of difficulty is honors which is “more rigorous, time management skills are learned, more focused on the bigger picture, is usually more thought provoking, and is for students who want to be pushed.”  Said Mrs. Koncar who is the honors English teacher for juniors.  Honors may sound a little intimidating, but it  isn’t entirely, because what set’s it apart from core is there is a little bit more work and a little bit more emphasis needs to be put into it, and the only drawback is if a student fails honors class they will be put into a core class, but at the same time this helps encourage student’s to get their work done and turn it in on-time, but if they put the skill learned and apply it then it should be no problem and it they will also find out that the skill learned will go on to help them in college.

The final level students may approach if they wish too is AP and in this area students are given a little bit more opportunities than honors and core because in this “students are given the potential to earn college credit at the end of the year if they pass the AP test and if they do it will help them save thousands if they end up going to college, plus it also shortens their time at college as well, and it helps students to study and mange time at a college level, plus on top of this it also assist’s students to develop a higher level of thinking in areas such as synthesis, argumentation, and comparisons.” Said Mr. Knowlton who teaches AP world and U.S history classes.  This course is a lot more difficult than honors and core, but the learning experience it well worth, because once you start becoming more accustomed to how it functions the student will begin to pick up on it and pretty soon they begin entering a whole new world of learning and will have a even more in depth look into it, but some things to put into considerations before jumping right into it is make sure you do have the time and support to do it, because the work will take up a good chunk of your time, but the student will learn a lot of valuable information, but remember student’s don’t let this information get the best of your mind.  This story is to inform the student body the options that are available to them, so don’t think any less of whichever course you may end up in because high school is supposed to be a fun and learning experience, so go at whatever level feels more comfortable.