Kearns High School’s New Look

Samantha Pedersen, Copy Editor

The students at Kearns High School were welcomed to a new school this year. During the student’s 2016 summer break, their principal, Ms. Loo, contacted the school district so that the school could get a renovation. Tessa Thornton, a senior at Kearns High School, wanted to know, “Where did all the money come from?” Ms. Loo told the Cougar Claw that the school spent $175,000 on renovations and the rest of the money spent on these renovations was negotiated from the school district. The total cost of these renovations was over two million dollars.

When asked why Ms. Loo decided to renovate Kearns High School, she explained how all the other schools in the district were receiving renovation plans but Kearns High was not, so she began contacting the district to try to get Kearns on that list. Because she felt so strongly, she got the district to help renovate Kearns.

Ms. Loo also mentioned the quote, “Dress for success.” She felt that these renovations would give the students more room to be proud of their school. Not only that, but she wanted the school to be viewed better by the public. That’s one of the reasons Ms. Loo decided to renovate the main hall, because that’s the first place the public sees when they walk into the school.

Ms. Loo decided to change the lockers to a more neutral color because she felt that having the school colors as the lockers was more of a junior high thing. Because the carpet was dirty and damaged after being used for 20 years, Ms. Loo felt it was another necessary thing to change. She also explained that she wanted to change what was originally given to the school. She wanted to move into the 20th century.

When asked what question he had for Ms. Loo about the renovations, Seth Terry, a senior at Kearns High School, said, “Where’s the cougar?” For all of the students at Kearns High School wondering the same question, don’t worry, the cougar will be back!